Check out this amazing Asparagus Risotto recipe. It is simple, but the result is a creamy and mouthwatering risotto you won't resist!
This fresh asparagus risotto, although delicious and easy to make, is only made here from time to time. This is due to only one, well, actually two reasons: fresh asparagus are hard to find around here and when we do find, they are pricey, but totally worth the price, because the result is a creamy risotto with the most delicious asparagus taste.
🍳 How to make risotto
Well, risotto is not hard to make. The secret to a good risotto is to stir and add the liquid little by little. The constant stirring removes the starch from the grain and thickens the broth, giving the risotto its creamy signature.
🌾 What type of rice is used to make risotto?
Can I use any rice to make risotto?
Well, a good risotto also depends on the type of rice you use. We use arborio or carnaroli rice. They are a short-to-medium and "chubby" grain.
If you want a creamy risotto, avoid long grain rice, because they have a low starch content. But if that's the one you have, it is ok to use too. Just remember, your risotto will taste more like an asparagus rice!
💭 Tips to make a killer Risotto
- stirring constantly will make your risotto extra creamy
- use a spoon with a hole in it - it works as a secondary spoon (creamier with less effort)
- have patience and add the stock 1/2 cup at a time, adding another 1/2 cup after the last one has been absorbed
- do not add all the asparagus at once, or they will break in small pieces, and you want to have some large pieces to bite into
- the rice needs to be "al dente", otherwise you will end up with a mushy risotto
I think you might also enjoy this spaghetti with creamy aglio e olio with almonds
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice risotto rice
- 3 cups chicken stock (or 1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 3 cups of hot water)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 bunch asparagus trimmed (leave 6 asparagus for grilling and chop the others)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese to serve
- Grill the 6 asparagus with some salt and olive oil. Meanwhile prepare the risotto.
- In a large pan heat olive oil. Add chopped onion and cook until beginning to soften.
- Add rice, wine and 1/2 cup chicken stock. Stir constantly.
- Little by little add remaining chicken stock (1/2 cup at a time) and keep on stirring.
- When half the stock is incorporated add 1/2 of the chopped asparagus.
- Keep on adding the stock until rice is "al dente". If you use all stock and rice is not done, add hot water.
- When rice is almost done, add the remaining chopped asparagus, butter and ½ cup of parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep on stirring so that all ingredients are incorporated and the risotto is creamy.
- Serve with parmesan and top with the grilled asparagus.