Adapted from our Beignets recipe, these Condensed Milk Donuts are simply delicious!
Here at home we are totally in love with beignets, but one of these days we were craving donuts but we didn't have a recipe. So we decided to adapt our beignet recipe to make the donuts we wanted to eat. And we used a special ingredient that is adored by us Brazilians: sweetened condensed milk.
How did the donuts turn out? AMAZING!
What are the ingredients for these Condensed Milk Donuts?
For this recipe you will need:
- active dry yeast
- all-purpose flour
- sweetened condensed milk
- unsalted butter
- vegetable oil, for frying
Tips to make these Donuts
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water with a little bit of condensed milk and let this sit for 15 minutes (it will become foamy).
- Leave dough in a warm place to rise. If your kitchen is cold, heat the oven for just a little and turn it off. Let the dough rise in there.
- After shaping the donuts, sprinkle some flour on the plate they will rise, this will prevent them from sticking.
- The best oil for frying is cottonseed oil.
- Watch for the oil temperature. Cold oil will make greasy donuts and too hot oil will make burnt donuts.
- After frying the donuts coat them with granulated sugar, while still warm.
Condensed Milk Donuts
- 3/4 cup water warm
- 1 1/4 tsp yeast
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 cups vegetable oil preferably cottonseed oil, for frying
- Sugar for dusting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer dissolve the yeast in the warm water with a little bit of condensed milk and let this sit for 15 minutes (mixture will become foamy).
- Add remaining ingredients. Using a dough hook, knead until dough is smooth. If kneading by hand, knead until dough is smooth.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave it in a warm place to rise until doubled in size (around 40 minutes).
- Flour a work surface to roll out the dough to about ¼ inch (1cm) thick. Cut dough with a floured donut cutter. If you don't have a donut cutter use a round mold to make the donuts. To make the hole in the middle use a small mold. You could also make the donuts without the hole in the middle.
- After shaping the donuts, place them on a floured plate, side by side.
- Let donuts rise until doubled in size (height).
- Put 3 to 4 inches of vegetable oil in a frying pan and let it reach 370F (190C).
- Fry 1 or 2 donuts at a time and flip from time to time.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Transfer to a serving plate and dust with lots of sugar. Serve warm.
Are you following Travel Cook Tell on Pinterest?