This Spaghetti with Creamy Aglio e Olio and Almonds is a delicious twist on a classic recipe! This dish is so easy to make that you can either cook it for a quick weeknight dinner or if you have guests and don't want to spend a long time in the kitchen. I'm sure this recipe will please everybody. With little effort!
What do you do when you want to eat something delicious, your pantry is almost empty and you don't feel like going to the supermarket? You use whatever you have and hope it turns out great! Well, that's exactly what happened with this recipe 🙂
🤔 What is Aglio e Olio?
Aglio e Olio literally means olive oil and garlic in Italian. Spaghetti Aglio e Olio is a traditional pasta recipe from Naples. Here I've made a creamier version, but also very easy to make and so delicious!
To make this recipe you'll need:
- olive oil
- heavy cream
- parmesan cheese for serving.
If you don't have both chives and parsley, you can use just one or the other. And if you don't have almonds you can easily substitute for walnuts, pecans or cashews.
🍳 How to make this creamy Aglio e Olio?
The first thing you'll do is bring water to a boil with some salt and oil.
In a skillet you will heat olive oil and add minced garlic. Cook until garlic starts to get golden brown, remove from heat, add chives, parsley, almonds and then butter.
When butter is completely melted, add heavy cream.
When water begins to boil, add spaghetti and cook according to package instructions.
When pasta is almost ready, set aside 1/2 + 1/8 cup cooking water from spaghetti and mix with sauce, stir a little and bring sauce to a boil.
Now you just have to drain spaghetti, mix with sauce and serve with parmesan cheese.
- to make it lighter you can make it without the butter and cream.
- instead of almonds, use pine nuts if available
- cashews instead of almonds will add a subtle sweetness to the dish
- sprinkle with red pepper flakes for some heat
- drop a couple of sage leaves with the garlic for an exquisite flavor
- add anchovies to the sauce - that is another Italian favorite
- basil leaves over the plate when serving will give it a fresh touch
- some protein will go very well here, such as chicken breasts or even salmon (even better if leftover - as it will be a great way to make it feel like a new dish)
I think you might also enjoy this Pasta Carbonara with Mortadella.
Spaghetti with Creamy Aglio e Olio and Almonds
- 7 to 9 oz spaghetti (240g)
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 1/4 cup chives
- 1/2 cup almonds chopped
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 + 1/8 cup cooking water from spaghetti
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese for serving
- In a large pan, bring water to a boil. Add salt and oil.
- In a skillet heat olive oil and add garlic. Cook until garlic starts to get golden brown.
- Remove from heat. Add chives, parsley and almonds.
- Add butter. When butter is completely melted, add heavy cream.
- When water begins to boil, add spaghetti and cook according to package instructions.
- When pasta is almost ready remove 1/2 + 1/8 cup cooking water from spaghetti and mix with sauce. Stir a little and bring sauce to a boil.
- Drain spaghetti and mix with sauce.
- Serve with parmesan cheese.