Brownies with a Brazilian twist: the brigadeiro! This recipe for Brownies with Brigadeiro Frosting doesn't use chocolate in bars, only chocolate powder and the flavor is simply amazing!
If you like chocolate I'm pretty sure you like brownies as well! And if you like brownies, you'll love this recipe! This brownies are made only with chocolate powder (no chocolate bar) and the frosting is made of Brazilian Brigadeiros, a typical sweet treat from my country that is made of sweetened condensed milk, cocoa or chocolate powder and a little butter.
❗ Helpful tips
Here are some valuable tips for making Brownies with Brigadeiro Frosting:
- The recipe calls for chocolate powder, but if you prefer a more intense flavor (and less sweet), use cocoa powder. Use good quality chocolate powder (or cocoa powder).
- Don't substitute butter for margarine, vegetable oil or shortening. Be sure to use butter.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper, spray the pan with cooking spray then add a little bit of chocolate powder. Tilt the pan around until each surface is lightly coated with chocolate powder, then discard the extra chocolate powder.
- Don’t overbake your brownies. Check them 5 minutes before the suggested baking time ends.
- The brigadeiro used in this recipe is softer than the original one. To see the classic brigadeiro recipe click here.
- Sprinkles are optional. Use only if you want to make the brownies prettier! The sprinkles used in the classic brigadeiro recipe are the plain chocolate ones, but I used round colorful ones to make it more festive 🙂
Brownies with Brigadeiro Frosting
- 3.5 oz 100g unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup chocolate powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chocolate powder
- Sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C) and line a 9x9in (20x20cm) baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl mix melted butter, sugar, chocolate powder (it's better if you sift the chocolate powder) and salt. Add vanilla, eggs and mix well. Add flour and mix vigorously for a few seconds.
- Pour batter in baking pan and spread evenly. Bake for around 25 minutes. If you insert a toothpick it shouldn't come out completely clean. Let it cool.
- Place chocolate powder with a little bit of water (1tbsp) in a sauce pan to dissolve the chocolate
- Add condensed milk and 1 tbsp butter and stir over medium heat until the mixture starts boiling.
- Keep on stirring for a few more minutes (3-5 minutes) and remove from heat. Let it cool.
- Pour brigadeiro over brownie and spread evenly. Let brownie cool in the fridge for around 30 minutes. Add sprinkles (if using) and cut while still cold.