Learn how to make Brazilian Brigadeiros: Sweetened Condensed Milk Chocolate Truffles that are a classic sweet treat from my country! Heavenly soft little truffles you'll fall in love with.
Brigadeiros are very traditional in Brazil! You will see them in every single birthday party and many other events like weddings, baby showers, friends meetings, office parties, just to name a few. They are sold almost everywhere that sells food. In simple places or fancy stores. And nowadays there are shops specialized in them.
🤔 What are Brigadeiros?
Brigadeiros are Brazilian sweets made of sweetened condensed milk, chocolate powder and butter. They are like chocolate truffles coated in sugar or chocolate shavings, sprinkles, and even options like desiccated coconut, nuts and crushed pistachios.
The most traditional brigadeiro recipe is with plain chocolate, but you can also find them in any flavor combination!
They were created in 1946 by a fan of the Presidential campaign runner Eduardo Costa, known as Brigadeiro due to his Brigadier rank in the Air Force.
These little truffles were served in his political party gatherings and sold to gather funds for the campaign. The little sweets became famous as people attended these gatherings were there to try out the Brigadeiro's sweets.
Eduardo Costa did not win the election, but Brazil was taken over by the Brigadeiros.
🍳 How to make Brigadeiros
It's easier than you think to make these treats for your next party or holiday gathering.
You will start by placing sweetened condensed milk, butter and cocoa/chocolate powder in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir until the mixture thickens (10-15 minutes). The mixture should be thick enough so you can see the bottom of the pan when you run a wooden spoon through it.
Remove from heat and let it cool completely. Grease your hands with some butter and make little balls. Cover them with sugar, chocolate shavings or sprinkles and serve them in mini cupcake liners.
And if you are making it just for yourself, you can grab a spoon and eat! - that's my favorite option 🙂
💭 Additional tips
- One of the ingredients is cocoa powder or chocolate powder, but Nesquick (or similar) works just fine.
- The mixture should be thick enough so you can see the bottom of the pan when you run a wooden spoon through it.
- Let mixture cool completely before rolling it.
- If they do not hold their shape, return the pan to the stove and cook brigadeiros for another couple of minutes.
- You can use different sprinkles or chocolates to roll them, like white, milk, semi-sweet and dark chocolate shavings, cocoa nibs.
- You can also use different sugars with different textures to roll them.
⏲️ Can I make them ahead?
Of course! Brigadeiros can - and should - be made ahead of time. They will keep for up to three days at room temperature (in an airtight container).
❄️ Can I freeze them?
Why not? Brigadeiros freeze very well. After rolling them in sugar or sprinkles, place them side by side in a baking tray and then place the tray in the freezer. When they have frozen, transfer to a sealable bag. They will be best for up to month, but still will be good for up to 3 months.
When you want to serve them, just remove from freezer, place in liners and arrange in serving dish.
Even frozen, they are great - as they will not be too hard!
🍧 More Brazilian Sweets
Cold Coconut Cake (this cake is so moist and delicious and you can freeze it and wrap in individual portions and take on your next picnic)
Brazilian Carrot Cake (entirely different from the carrot cake you are used to)
Brigadeiros - Brazilian Chocolate Truffles
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter plus more for greasing your hands
- 3 tbsp cocoa/chocolate powder Nesquick works just fine
- Sugar, chocolate shavings or sprinkles for coating
- Place condensed milk, 1 tbsp butter and cocoa/chocolate powder in a sauce pan over medium heat.
- Stir until the mixture thickens (10-15 minutes). The mixture should be thick enough to show you the bottom of the pan when you scrape mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Let it cool completely.
- Grease your hands with butter and make little balls. Cover them with sugar, chocolate shavings or sprinkles and serve them in mini cupcake liners.
- And if you are making it just for yourself, you can grab a spoon and eat! - that's my favorite option!