I mixed two recipes in order to take a simple crumb cake to another level. Learn how to make a delicious Concord Grape Crumb Cake!
ℹ️ Info about the recipe
I'm from Southern Brazil and many parts of this region were settled by German immigrants. Of course cooking was very much influenced by them, and one of the most famous treats made by them is a cake called Cuca.
Cuca is very similar to a crumb cake and you can make it in different flavors. But the Concord Grape Cuca has always been my favorite and this is the recipe I would like to share with you today!
This is not a traditional recipe. I have twiked a regular crumb cake so it would look like a cuca, as the first one is easier (and quicker) than the second!
For this concord grape crumb cake recipe you will need:
For the batter:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- vegetable oil
For the topping:
- concord grapes
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
🍳 How to make it
Making a Concord Grape Crumb Cake is pretty simple. For the batter you will sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
In a second bowl, whisk together egg, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. The next step is to fold dry ingredients into egg mixture and spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
Then spread grapes on top of batter.
And finally make the crumbs by combining the flour, brown sugar, and butter and tossing with a spatula until large crumbs form. Sprinkle crumbs over grapes.
Bake for around 30 minutes, let it cool a little and enjoy!
💭 Tips and Variations
- You can leave it at room temperature for about 24 hours after making it. For longer periods of time, place in an airtight container in the fridge.
- I used seedless Concord grapes, but I have also used the ones with seeds and removed them. It's some work but it's worth it.
- You can use other fruits like blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, bananas, peaches.
- Apples tend to dry out while baking.
I think you might enjoy this Brazilian Carrot Cake!
Concord Grape Crumb Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups concord grapes cut in half and seeded
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line a 8in x 12in (20cmX30cm) baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together egg, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla.
- Fold dry ingredients into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Spread grapes on top of batter.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, and butter. Toss with a rubber spatula until large crumbs form.
- Sprinkle crumbs over grapes.
- Bake for around 30 minutes.