Around 90% of the bread we eat at home is made by my husband. And not simple bread, he loves making new recipes and trying new flavors and textures.
I like white bread but Luciano is always saying that whole wheat is better, so one of these days, instead of making a regular hamburger bun, he made it whole wheat – without my approval – but for my surprise, I just loved it. And I think you will too!
- 1¼ cups warm milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1¼ tsp yeast
- If you are using a bread machine just add all ingredients according to the manufactorer's instructions and turn on the keading cycle. When it's done make small balls using your hands, place balls in a greased pan and let them rise until they double in size.
- Bake at 350 F (180ºC) for around 10 minutes.
- If you are making the buns without a bread machine, just blend all ingredients and knead for around five minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add a litttle bit of aditional flour. Let the dough rise for around 1 hour. Then make the balls and continue using the instructions above.
Our daughter Isabella loves making sandwiches with this bread.
And if you want, you can also make hot dog buns with this dough! They turn out equally delicious!