Amazing Moroccan Chicken with Couscous recipe. Plus: it's very easy to make!
We've never been to Morocco. The closest we have ever been was in the World Showcase at EPCOT 🙂 But in our kitchen we have visited Morocco several times with this amazing Chicken with Couscous recipe.
Moroccan Chicken with Couscous
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp dried crushed red pepper
- 3 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lime peel
- 3 lb chicken thighs
- pinch sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves for serving
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup laminated almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Toast caraway, coriander, and cumin seeds in a skillet over medium heat stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Let it cool completely.
- Grind spices and dried crushed red pepper to fine powder. Add oil and garlic and grind to smooth paste. Stir in paprika and salt.
- Whisk harissa, olive oil, lime juice, lime peel and pinch of sugar in a bowl. Rub mixture over all sides of chicken pieces. Place chicken in baking dish. Cover and marinate overnight (or at least a few hours).
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Cook chicken for around 1 hour. Cover baking dish with foil for the first 30 minutes.
- Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in couscous and let it rest for 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with the butter using a fork. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Serve chicken with cilantro on top and couscous on the side.