This Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream is a perfect recipe on its own! But you could also use it as a base to many different flavors!
It's amazing how many people are surprised when we tell them that we make our own ice cream! But when they taste it, they understand why 🙂
And a homemade vanilla ice cream is something we have in our freezer all summer long. Sometimes all the way through fall and when spring comes, we make a batch as soon as the temperatures rise a little!
What ingredients do you need to make vanilla ice cream?
To make this ice cream you will need egg yolks, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, vanilla paste and heavy cream.
How do you make vanilla ice cream from scratch?
First you have to mix the egg yolks and sugar and beat until mixture is pale and creamy. In a saucepan you will place half the milk, vanilla extract and vanilla paste over medium heat. When it starts boiling you will add 1/3 of this milk to the yolk and sugar mixture and mix well. Then you have to pour this mixture in the pan with remaining milk. You will keep stiring on low heat until the mixture thickens, remove from heat, add remaining milk (the other half) and heavy cream, mix well and let it cool. Now it's time to place vanilla ice cream in the ice cream maker and work it according to manufacturer's instructions.
Top 3 reasons to love this Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- It's perfect on its own!
- It's the perfect base for other flavors, like the Butter Pecan Ice Cream! recipe coming soon
- You can have it with a Brownie, Blondie and other sweet treats!
This recipe is simple, but very delicious, really a classic, and I'm sure you'll love it!
Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp vanilla paste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Mix the egg yolks and the sugar. Use an electric mixer to beat until mixture is pale and creamy. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan place 1 cup of milk, the vanilla extract and vanilla paste. Let the mixture boil over medium heat.
- When it starts boiling add 1/3 of this milk to the yolk and sugar mixture. Mix well. Now pour this mixture in the pan with remaining milk. Keep stiring on low heat until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining 1 cup of milk and heavy cream. Mix well and let it cool.
- Place vanilla ice cream in the ice cream maker and work it according to manufacturer's instructions.
- When ice cream is done put it in the freezer for at least 2 hours. You could serve immediately if you prefer a softer ice cream.