On our last trip to Paris our meals were all wonderful and not expensive. It’s amazing how you can eat well there and on a budget.
One of our lunches was at Paul, a great bakery/restaurant. We had a Croque Monsieur sandwich and we just loved it. And since we came back it became one of our favorites at home.
This recipe was adapted from here.
- 1 tbsp butter, plus softened butter for bread
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1½ cups gruyère or emmental cheese, grated
- ½ cup mozzarella
- 6 slices bread
- 6 slices ham
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C)
- For the sauce:
- In a saucepan melt butter. Add flour, stirring constantly until smooth, about 2 minutes. Slowly add milk, stirring continuously, and cook until the mixture thickens a little and is lightly golden.
- Remove from heat and add mozzarella, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Lightly and evenly butter bread slices, place them in a baking pan and put it in the oven for 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place the ham slices and about ⅓ cup Gruyère cheese on 3 of the bread slices. Top each with one of remaining bread slices.
- Spread sauce to cover the top of each sandwich (crusts, too). Sprinkle evenly with the remaining cheese.
- Bake the sandwiches for about 5 minutes then place under lit broiler until cheese mixture on top is bubbling and lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
Serve with a green salad seasoned with salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Your meal will be a total hit!