Since we watched The Great British Bake Off (on a British Airways flight on our way to Scandinavia), all I could think of was that I needed to make a Victoria Sandwich (also called Victoria Sponge). Soon!
When we came back from our trip I started looking for recipes. I looked at many, specially from BBC Food website and the recipe I’m sharing with you today is a combination of many.
- For the sponge:
- 6oz (180g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6oz (180g) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6oz (180g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- For filling:
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- ½ cup heavy cream + 1 tbsp sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Grease a 8in (20cm) round cake pan. (I use oil spray and parchment paper on the bottom of the pan)
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar together until the mixture is pale and light. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well between each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl from time to time. Add vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Place flour and baking powder into the bowl and fold in until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour bater in the baking pan and bake for around 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of sponge comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Remove from cake pan and let it cool a little more.
- Meanwhile beat heavy cream and sugar until you get a whipped cream consistency.
- Cut cake into 2 layers.
- Place one layer on a serving plate. Spread jam, then cream. Place the other cake layer on top. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Now it’s your turn to make it!
If you wanna make your own strawberry jam, check a delicious recipe here.