In 2002 we bought a book called Recipe Encyclopedia and it quickly became our favorite cookbook. And we’ve been using it (a lot) until today.
This Vegetable Quiche with Whole Wheat Crust was adapted from this book and we’ve been making it at our home since then.
I hope you like it 🙂
- For crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup butter, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 1/2 cups butternut squash, cut into 1 inch (2cm) cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 inch (2cm) squares
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 can corn, drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For crust:
- In a bowl place flours. Using your fingertitps, or 2 forks, rub butter into flours until mixture is crumbly. Add lemon juice and mix until you get a firm dough. Add a little water if necessary.
- Turn dough into a floured surface. Roll out pastry large enough to cover the base and side of a pan. Place dough into pan, and trim where needed. Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, for 20 minutes.
- Line dough with parchment paper and fill with pie weights or dried beans and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove weights and parchment, and bake for 10 more minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Steam broccoli and butternut squash until tender.
- In a skillet heat oil and cook peppers and onion until soft. Set aside.
- In a saucepan melt the butter on medium heat. Add the flour and cook until golden brown (about 3 minutes). Little by little pour the milk and stir until mixture thickens. Beat in egg and stir until smooth. Add cheese.
- Combine broccoli, butternut squash, bell pepper, onion and corn with the white sauce and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour this mixture into pastry shell.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until top is golden.