Luciano and I have been married for 16 years and when we were newlyweds this Vegetable Pie recipe became one of our favorites. It’s great during summer with a salad or in winter with a soup.
Ready for the recipe?
- Store-bought puff pastry (around 15 oz, but it can be a little more or a little less)
- 1 cup chopped green beans
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 tbp unsalted butter
- 2 tbp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt, nutmeg and ground black pepper to taste
- Mix all the vegetables and cook them a little in the microwave (around 6 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan melt the butter on medium heat. Add the flour and cook until golden brown (about 3 minutes). Little by little pour the milk and stir. Let it cook for about 3 minutes or until it gets a bit thick. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Roll out ⅔ of the pastry and place it in a 9 inch pie pan.
- Combine the vegetables with the butter+flour+milk mixture (which is basically a bechamel sauce). Blend well and pour this mixture in the pie shell. Brush the rim of the pie shell with the lightly beaten egg. Roll out the remaining dough and place it on top. Gently press the top and bottom pieces of dough together to seal. Brush the entire surface of the pie with egg wash. Cut some vents in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 375 F (180C) until the top is golden brown (30 to 40 minutes).