When we went to Rome in the beggining of this year we rented an apartment and had most of our dinners at “home”. We loved eating antipasti and we always liked to include a delicious Vegetable Caponata (Caponata di Verdure).
Needless to say, when we came back home we had to make a Caponata di Verdure at home. It turned out very good and that’s the recipe I’m sharing with you today!
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2-3 tbsp golden raisins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- In a frying pan heat olive oil. Place eggplant, zucchini and bell peppers (all diced). Let them cook for 7 to 10 minutes. Add raisins, vinegar, sugar, a little bit of salt and pepper and cook for 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Remove from heat, add chopped basil leaves and mix.
- Serve at room temperture.
Most recipes we found on the internet asked for tomatoes e carrots but the ones we had in Rome (from Eataly and from a nice market near our apartment) did not include these two ingredients, that’s why we didn’t include them in our recipe.