The translation to this Swedish dish is Jansson’s Temptation and, in my opinion, it couldn’t have a more appropriate name 🙂
Of course, when we got home, I started looking for recipes. This one is the combination of five!
- 2 lb (900g) potatoes, peeled and cut into fine strips
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 oz (30 g) anchovies in oil, drained (the oil will be used) and chopped
- 1 tbsp anchovy oil
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C)
- Heat a large skillet, melt butter. Add onions and cook for around 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Grease a large baking dish, place half the potatoes, cover with the onions, spread the anchovies and cover with remaining potatoes. Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl mix well heavy cream and anchovy oil. Add salt, if necessary.
- Cover the potatoes with the heavy cream mixture.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs and bake for aproximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cover the first 30 minutes with aluminum foil.