Here at home it’s quite common for us to make soft polenta with eggs.
Polenta is so easy to make, it doesn’t take too long and it goes well with a simple tomato sauce, some bolognese sauce or just an egg (lightly fried or poached).
Luciano is always talking about the polentas his nonna used to make. He doesn’t actually remember her making it, but he knows it was just cornmeal, water and salt, but he does remember her serving it. She poured the soft polenta over a polenta board (like a cutting board used only for serving polenta), then she’d cut it with some thread and, don’t ask him how, she managed to perfecly place it in everybody’s plates. She usually served it with tomato and chicken sauce. Simple and delicious.
But our polenta is not so simple. We add some extra flavor and creaminess by adding milk, heavy cream and parmesan cheese. The egg we make is not technically poached, neither fried. We add a little butter to the saucepan, some water and let it cook/fry in the steam. It tastes great and it’s much easier to make.
- 1 cup (medium grind) cornmeal
- 2 + ½ cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 boullion chicken or vegetable cube (dissolved in ½ cup water)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place water, bouillon chicken cube (dissolved in water), milk and cormeal in a pan.
- Turn heat on low and stir constantly until cormeal is cooked - around 30 minutes. It's important to stir at least once every minute or two so it doesn't stick to the pan.
- When polenta is cooked add heavy cream and parmesan cheese and mix well.
- In a large frying pan (with lid) melt butter and add 4 tbsp of water. When it starts boiling place the eggs carefully so the yolk doesn't break.
- Cover with the lid and let eggs cook for around 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Serve the polenta (1/3 in each plate) and place one egg on top.
- And some salt and pepper, if desired and some olive oil.
And if you think soft polenta with eggs is high in calories, you are wrong. If you prepare it just like this recipe, each serving will have less than 400 calories!