I’m not a big fan of watercress so when my husband said he would make a watercress soup I didn’t like the idea and said no. But he made it anyway.
I’m so glad he didn’t listen to me because this soup is amazing!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bunch (or 2 small bunches) watercress, washed and roughly chopped
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup butter
- 3 cups water
- 2½ cups milk
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 4 tbsp sour cream (for serving)
- In a large pan melt the butter. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add watercress. When watercress is wilted add flour and mix well.
- Add water, one cup at a time and the stock cubes.
- Add milk and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool a little.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender. You can also use a blender (pour the soup in batches into a blender and transfer the blended soup to a clean pot).
- Serve with sour cream.
It’s a total guilt-free soup, after all, it’s like eating salad 😉