One of these days we had a lot of potatoes at home and since we always have bacon in the freezer we decided to try a new recipe for us: a potato e bacon chowder.
We were not expecting much from it, but it turned out sooo good!
- 2 to 3 silces bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 medium potatoes, diced
- 1½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Fry bacon with vegetable oil for around 2 minutes.
- Add onion, celery and garlic and stir until golden brown, around 4 minutes.
- Add flour, stir and start adding water, little by little.
- Combine chicken stock cube and heavy cream and allow mixture to boil.
- Place potatoes and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
The taste reminded us of a dish we had in Grinzing, Austria.
It’s comfort food with an Austrian accent 🙂