Part of my husband’s family is from Italian immigrants, so everytime he visited Nonna he knew he was going to eat something good!
He remembers having lunch with the whole family and one dish he enjoyed the most was Nonna’s delicious tomato sauce.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 28oz (800g) canned tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 chicken thighs (skin on)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a cast iron pan add olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook for around 3 minutes, until onion is translucent.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken to the pan with skin side down and fry for around 5 minures. Turn chicken and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Pour tomato, water and turn down the heat and let the sauce simmer for around 40 minutes, stiring once in a while. Chicken will separate from the bones.
- Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- To serve remove skin and bones.
- This is enough for 4 servings of pasta.
It’s not exactly the same as Nonna’s but it’s pretty close, he says.
You can see from the picture above that it was a total hit 😉
Subscribe to Travel Cook Tell’s email updates and get two free ebooks