I think it’s impossible not to like a New York Crumb Cake. It’s so simple but at the same time so classy.
It’s perfect for a casual snack or a more sophisticated afternoon tea.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil + a little more for pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + a little more for pan
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180 C).
- Brush a small baking pan (as you can see in the pictures I have used two 5 in X 3.5 in (9cm x 12cm) baking dishes) with vegetable oil and dust with flour. Tap to remove excess. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine ¾ cup flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix egg, milk, oil and vanilla.
- Fold dry ingredients into egg mixture.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan, and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine remaining flour (1½ cups), brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour melted butter over flour mixture, and toss with a rubber spatula until large crumbs form.
- Sprinkle crumbs over batter.
- Bake for around 30 minutes.
Make it for your favorite occasion and enjoy!