We’ve never been to Morocco. The closest we have ever been was in the World Showcase at EPCOT 🙂
But in our kitchen we have visited Morocco several times with this amazing Chicken with Couscous recipe.
We found this recipe on Epicurious and since we made it for the first time we simply felt in love with this dish!
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp dried crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- Chicken and dressing
- 2 tbsp plus ½ cup olive oil
- 5 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp finely grated lime peel
- 3-pound chicken, quartered, backbone removed
- Pinch of sugar
- Fresh cilantro
- 1½ cups plain couscous
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup laminated almonds
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For Harissa:
- Toast caraway, coriander, and cumin seeds in a skillet over medium heat stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Let it cool completely.
- Grind spices and dried crushed red pepper to fine powder. Add oil and garlic and grind to smooth paste. Stir in paprika and salt.
- For chicken and dressing:
- Whisk 3½ tablespoons harissa, 2 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and lime peel in a bowl. Rub mixture over all sides of chicken pieces. Place chicken in baking dish. Cover and marinate overnight.
- Whisk remaining oil (1/2 cup), 3 tablespoons lime juice and pinch of sugar in medium bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper to taste. (Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Cook chicken for around 1 hour.
- For couscous:
- Bring water to boil. Remove from heat, stir in couscous and let it rest for 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork and add remaining ingredients.
I promise you won’t regret making it!