Our first trip with Isabella was in 2007 and she was just 7 months old. It was a long journey, to Eastern Europe, very far from where we live, Southern Brazil. So as you can imagine, a few weeks before our departure we started to freak out with the amount of things we had to take with us. That’s when we thought about making a very complete list of everything we needed. And I can tell you that this checklist was a lifesaver!
So today I would like to share with you a few tips on making the perfect checklist for your next trip!
– Make a general list but also make individual lists for each member of your family.
– Make a list with things for everydody, with items such as documents, snacks, electronics, batteries…
– If your child is little, add even the amount of diapers (if you are taking them with you) you will need (number of diapers per day X number of days), formula (if you travel to another country don’t count on finding the exact same brand your child is used to), pacifiers, bottles, medicines (name them all on the list).
– Regarding medicines, if you have the doctor’s prescriptions, take them with you. On one of our trips we had to throw away a cough syrup that was over the 100ml (3.4oz) limit because we didn’t have the doctor’s prescription.
– Don’t forget to take your child’s favorite toy. Yes, add this item to the list!
– My husband’s part of the list and mine are also very detailed, including nail clippers and the number of socks and underwear we need (think about the number of days you will be traveling and also if you will be doing laundry or not). Include everything from personal care products to all your clothing items.
– Always consider the time of the year and the place you are going to. Don’t forget sunscreen in summer and scarfs in winter!
Your first checklist will be kind of boring to make but it’s worth every second spent on it 🙂