Calamari is one of Isabella’s favorite foods (really!) so from time to time we have to make it at home.
We usually make pasta or, like the recipe from today’s post, risotto. This recipe has also shrimp and zuchinni. This last ingredient was not on our plans, but we had one at home and thought it could be a nice combination. And it was!
- 9 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 7 oz (200 g) calamari, sliced into rings
- 7 oz (200 g) shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 shrimp stock cube
- 2 tbsp bacon fat*
- 2 cups risotto rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into ½ inch (1 cm) thick and in 4
- 5 to 7 cups boiling water
- Parmesan, grated, for serving
- In a large skillet add 3 tbsp olive oil and minced garlic. Cook a little and add calamari. Fry for to 2 minutes, remove from heat and add ¾ shrimp, salt and pepper.
- In a pan add 3 tbsp olive oil, bacon fat and chopped onion. Cook until onion is translucent. Add remaining shrimp, shrimp stock cube, rice, wines and stir.
- When wine reduces, pour 1 cup boiling water and stir. Keep on stirring and adding water until rice is al dente (around 20 minutes).
- Add calamari and shrimp to rice.
- In the same skillet you used for calamari and shrimp, add 3 tbsp olive oil and cook zucchini until golden brown.
- Add zucchini to the risoto, gently stir and serve with parmesan cheese.
On the day we made this recipe my mother had lunch with us. She doesn’t like calamari, so Isabella was very happy that grandma’s calamari ended up in her plate 🙂