Pastel is a traditional Brazilian snack (depending on its size it can be considered a meal) consisting of half-circle or rectangle-shaped thin crust pies with assorted fillings, fried in vegetable oil.
They can have different fillings such as ground beef, cheese, heart of palm, chicken and shrimp.
Today I’m sharing with you a Shrimp Pastel recipe!
- 3 cups all purpose flour + more for work surface
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vodka
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 14 oz (400 g) already-cooked shrimp
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Place the flour and salt in a bowl or a working surface and make a hole in the middle.
- In this hole add the oil, vodka and a little water.
- Little by little mix dry ingredientes and liquids.
- If the dough is too hard, add a little more water and if it's sticky add a little more flour.
- Place the dough between 2 parchment papers and roll out with a rolling pin until it's about a quarter of an inch thick. Cut round disc shapes (use round molds or a small bowl). Place the discs between plastic wrap so they don't stick.
- In a frying pan place olive oil and onion and cook for around 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and let them soften a little. Add shrimp and salt and pepper to taste. Cook this mixture for around 2-3 minutes.
- Place the filling on the dough discs, spread a little water around the edges with your fingers and close the pastel with a fork.
- Fry the pastéis in hot oil until golden brown, turning them if needed. With a slotted spoon, transfer the pastéis to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain.
They are really delicious! Enjoy 🙂
I think you may like these recipes: