Saturday lunches are always at home. Sometimes we like to spend more time in the kitchen, but usually we like to keep it simple.
But simple does not mean bad. It’s always possible to make delicious meals with little time and effort.
That’s the case with this Artichoke Risotto. You just need two main ingredients: Arborio rice (risotto rice) and a jar of artichoke hearts in water.
- 2 cups Arborio rice (risotto rice)
- 2 chicken stock cubes to dissolve in 4 cups of hot water
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 jar artichoke hearts in water (roughly chop the artichokes)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese, to serve
- In a large pan heat olive oil.
- Add chopped onion and cook until beginning to soften.
- Add rice, wine and the water from the artichoke. Stir constantly.
- Little by little add the chicken stock (1/2 cup at a time) and keep on stirring.
- When half the stock is incorporated add ⅓ of the artichoke.
- Keep on adding the stock until rice is "al dente". If you use all stock and rice is not done, add hot water.
- When rice is done, add the remaining artichoke, butter and ½ cup of parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep on stirring so that all ingredients are incorporated and the risotto is creamy.
- Serve with parmesan.
It’s so nice that everybody here at home loves risotto because it’s such an easy and versatile dish.
If you don’t have artichoke you can substitute it for asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, shrimp… Options are endless!
And best of all: this is the perfect recipe if you want to impress your guests with little work in the kitchen!
I think you may also like these recipes: